Friday, 28 September 2012

Ever wandered what Fennel Tastes like......

..... Well according to Dave, Sambucca!! The fourth night brought with it an air of expectation as well as a planned destination and area to be sampled. Tonight, Matthew, it will be Barrafina, representing Southern Spain.  The plates have now become a serious topic of discussion between the three of us, opening up the richness of opportunities that London holds within her street. This evening was special for many reasons, but the greatest feeling I came away with it was one of happiness.


So, why was this evening so special?  Well it started as most Fridays my end do, me getting on a bus leaving plenty of time and realising its never enough. The drama that unfolded as the bus driver negotiated the stage that is London on a Friday rush hour was captivating; it deserves its own blog, but I don't have the time to write it now. But as the show drew to a close, it was apparent that yet again it had over run and I was late for the 'date' and had to march swiftly down the Oxford road, dodging and darting my way through the endless stream of people that were also journeying to their destination. In fact the soap opera journey had played into my hand, as Julia and Dave had done most of the queuing, and all I had to do was drink a welcomed glass of what I though was wine. Half a glass later I plucked up the courage to question to grape and its origin, only to be reminded that it was off course sherry in my glass. This explained much of the taste combinations that were rolling across my tongue, and in fact the second half of the glass was by far the best :). 

Confusion over what this was..... it was the totilla, tasted amazeballs (its in the dictionary now so heck I am using it as a word)
Dave and I were entertained greatly by Julia's constant surveillance of the food as it passed and her desire to eat everything on the menu. We were soon given a wonderful spot at the end of the bar, and I only embarrassed myself slightly by mocking the waiter, and had to make up some rediculous story to cover my back about me having tourettes. Any way, the meal began with selection of a range of food, we each chose 2 dishes and decided to share them. The food was 


  • Bread and oil to start 
  • Ham Croquettes 
  • Prawn and pepper totilla
  • Potatas Gambas
  • Grilled quail
  • Something in spanish that I could not pronounce
  • fennel and tomato salad with radish 
  • mussels 
So the food arrived and it was epic. Everything was delicious, the mussels were divine and brought with them much amusement as Julia drank most of the juice afterwards as a 'soup', only to be offered more bread by the waitress, which hastily stopped the consumption amid a flash of red cheeks (on both sides). The exciting spanish dish turned out to be black pudding with fried quails egg and, although it arrived when we were all full to the brim, but was by far the best dish and was licked clean. The evening was a total success and the sherry was a perfect partner. The only down side was the £35 extra that was wacked onto the bill by accident but prooved quite hard to get taken off. I could see a potentially heated argument between Northern Dave and the feisty waitress and made a quick escape to the loo. On my return all had been settled and Dave was left with the puffed out chest and the winning hand. 

The unpronounceable dish of deliciousness
As we were all feeling rather fuzzy from the sherry we sauntered through China town and sang a few ridiculous songs, upsetting the locals and tourists, (but who care's) and made our way to the only non oriental bar in the area, Waxy O'Conners. A round was bought and a table found and the talk turned to finding me a man who can endorse 
fund my expensive habits, and we deiced next weeks destination would be centered much more around Canary Warf!! Ha ha! Dave foolishly left me and Julia alone to go to the loo, and we decided to play a mean trick on him, as he gets embarrassed easily, and so we would pretend to put our legs behind our heads as he was returning to the table. The only flaw in our mighty plan was that pretending to do this, actually looks a lot more like actually doing it and resulting in a red faced Dave and whoops and cheers from some of the surrounding tables, which Julia and I realised was because we were both wearing skirts. Ah well, no serious harm done. 

If your going to make huge M an M's, I a going to try and lick them 
So after yet another smashing evening, we went our separate ways a while later at Leicester Square. I have never been disappointed with any time spent with Julia, she has been one of my greatest and truest friends, and Dave is an extension of her excellence. They make me remember what it is about live that is so important, that it is not about the destination, but the journey, and the laughs you have a long the way. This evening banished seriousness and enveloped laughter, happiness and just doing it because its fun. 

4 plates down 76 to go and I can't wait for the next one......








No comments:

Post a Comment